31 Oct VIVA HACKS
HOW TO MAKE IT THROUGH THE SOCIAL SEASON!
A Brisbane riverlopp walk, a weekend outback escape, picnic, a dip in the ocean—we’ve all experienced the refreshing benefits of time spent in nature. Immersing ourselves in the great outdoors works wonders for our wellbeing. It’s easy to bump these moments from the calendar during silly season, but once you commit you’ll wonder why you didn’t do it sooner.
KEEP YOUR GUTS HAPPY
‘Tis the season of indulgence, which means it’s more important than ever to show your body some extra love. Rich food, alcohol and lack of sleep all contribute to poor health, but incorporating probiotic-packed foods into your day can help to balance your microbiome. Make sure to take a daily pre and probiotic, start your morning with a celery juice or lemon water and keep up the fluids during the day to help flush toxins.
SCHEDULE ‘ME’ TIME
Keep attending your regular Pilates sessions. It’s important to slow down during such a festive season. Forget FOMO and embrace periods of rest when needed. Attending Pilates will help restore your energy levels so that you can enjoy all the social things you’ve committed to!
LOOK AFTER YOUR LIVER
Alcohol is broken down in the liver, so it’s no surprise that our largest internal organ finds itself under strain this time of the year. Aim to have at least four alcohol-free nights per week. And of course, munch on plenty of veggies and purifying herbs.
OTHER VIVA HACKS FOR THE SUMMER:
- Roast veggies at the start of the week and then use them in EVERYTHING – salads, quiches, pasta, omelettes, side dishes, curries, soups – the options are endless
- Smell the skin of an orange for a natural mood booster
- Put a couple of drops of lavender on your pillowcase before bed
- Schedule in some time to meditate (or just not looks at screens, talk to anyone etc) – even 10 minutes a day will make a difference
- Up your incidentals – get in a walk by taking the stairs, clean the house with particular vigour or do some star jumps while you’re watching TV
- Carry a big bottle of H2O wherever you go
- Put your healthy snacks at eye level in your fridge and cupboard
- Allocate technology free time